Happy St. Patrick’s Day (tomorrow)! After having lived in one of the most Irish cities in the United States for the last few years I’ve learned that even if you yourself may not have any Irish roots, it’s still a celebratory day full of beer, dancing, and good music. I even learned that the Twin Cities wind up as no. 3 and no. 10 Guinness beer drinking cities. I’m bummed that I can’t celebrate it to it’s full extent this year but am still looking forward to enjoying the day and rocking a bit of a green ensemble, maybe even drinking a green beer too. However, I wouldn’t be me if I still couldn’t incorporate music into it.
I present you the Irish Roots Playlist! A collection of the best musicians and bands that were born and raised in the wonderful country of Ireland! Some of these you may have known, some may be surprises to learn native countries. For instance did you know Dropkick Murphys were American? I didn’t! (Or that Flogging Molly only has ONE actual Irish member.) The most Irish sounding musical acts many think of are frauds. Okay, not really, but you get my point.
It’s a bit of an odd playlist I’ll admit, not your typical one you’d expect for St. Patrick’s Day either. There’s no theme or mood, other than WHOO HOO IRISH PRIDE! Which I guess in itself is a good enough theme.
- Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For – U2 (Dublin)
- Breathless – The Corrs (Dundalk)
- Work Song – Hozier (Bray)
- Nothing Compares 2 U – Sinead O’Connor (Glenagleary)
- Only Time – Enya (Gweedore)
- Through the Dark – One Direction (Niall Horan is from Mullingar)
- What About Us – The Saturdays (Una Healy is from Thurles)
- Zombie – The Cranberries (Limerick)
- High Hopes – Kodaline (Dublin)
- Jump – Girls Aloud (Nadine Coyle is from Derry)
- Gotta Tell You – Samantha Mumba (Dublin)
- Nobody Knows – Boyzone (Dublin)
- Into the Mystic – Van Morrison (Belfast)
- Falling Slowly – Glen Hansard (Ballymun)
- We Own the Night – The Wanted (Siva Kaneswaran is from Blanchardstown)
- Before the Worst – The Script (Dublin)
- Teenage Kicks – The Undertones (Derry)
- C’est La Vie – B*Witched (Dublin)
- The Boys Are Back in Town – Thin Lizzy (Dublin)
- Open Your Eyes – Snow Patrol (4/5 members are from Bangor, Derry, and Belfast)
- Something Good Can Work – Two Door Cinema Club (Bangor)
- World of Our Own – Westlife (Dublin)
- I Don’t Like Mondays – The Boomtown Rats (Dublin)
- If I Ever Leave This World Alive – Flogging Molly (Dave King is from Dublin)
Celebrate safely! Just remember green beer comes back up that way too. I hope you all have a wonderful St. Patrick’s Day 2015! Cheers and happy listening!
What is your favorite way to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day?
P.S. – Work off all the extra calories from the delicious food and drink you celebrated with using the indie rock workout playlist.
Until next time,