Not long ago I was living blissfully unaware of Captain America and Bucky Barnes. I had successfully gone almost a decade never seeing a single Marvel movie. I was proud of that fact too. That all got ruined with an internet trend. Damn me and my pop culture curiosity.
In May, the third installment of the Captain America movie universe was released, Captain America: Civil War. Again, I didn’t find myself caring much about this fact. Until all of a sudden the internet became consumed with discussion on Captain America possibly having a boyfriend. Say what? Color me intrigued. The hashtag #GiveCaptainAmericaABoyfriend trended for days and even lots of respected journalists were writing about the possibility and probability of this fact becoming reality. For a few days, I simply ignored it with a distant amusement. Then, when it reached the viral peak, I thought “Hmm. I’ll just read one or two articles JUST to understand the big fuss.” I should’ve known those would be famous last words.
Let me take a moment to explain the campaign – basically fans of the movie series think that the friendship between Steve and his best friend Bucky goes beyond BFFLs. Instead they believe Captain America could be a bisexual character and ship Stucky (combination of the pair’s names) romantically. They cite the great lengths Steve continuously goes through time after time are even more passionate than Steve’s actual on screen love interests. If Bucky was the opposite gender, fans speculate the duo would’ve gotten together long before now. Even the Russo brothers, the directors of all three Captain America films have spoken out about positively understanding why fans see Steve and Bucky’s relationship in a more romantic light. (Of course there’s reasonable critiques to the #GiveCaptainAmericaABoyfriend movement too, but that isn’t what this post is about.)
Obviously, I had to find out first hand if I could understand what people were seeing. If there was actual substance to how these two characters were being portrayed that could elicit such strong fandom feelings and provoke the mainstream media to pick up on the discussion. What better way to do that then watch the movies back to back and capture my first impressions. Otherwise known as that time I fell down the Captain America rabbit hole. Warning, there will be spoilers.
Captain America: The First Avenger
- Am I really doing this with my life? How has this happened?
- So…are these scary octopus dudes supposed to be like Nazis?
- I’m supposed to believe there’s a universe were Chris Evans isn’t a buff hunk?
- Wait, so the Nazis are actually real history wise in this universe? Then who the eff are the octopus dudes?
- SEBASTIAN STAN!!! (Yes, three exclamation points are 100% necessary.)
- Oh cute, Bucky and Steve already know each other. Childhood bffs for life.
- There’s definitely some sexual tension vibes I’m feeling between Bucky and Steve. I ship it already.
- See! Bucky doesn’t look at his date but at Steve for affirmation of laughter. I say it again, sexual tension my friends.
- P.S. – Sebastian Stan’s little smirk in his army uniform fuels me.
- Why is Cesear Flickerman with no hair dye lingering in the background?
- Their banter is so cute! Punk + Jerk. (Also, I may have been more biased going into this than I thought.)
- Agent Carter has some kick butt vibes. I’m going to enjoy her.
- What. A. Wise. Ass! The flag stunt made my appreciation of Steve skyrocket.
- Stark must be related to Iron Man, look at me figuring things out on my own.
- Chris Evans body = 10/10 would recommend more sweaty shirtless scenes.
- Okay, but now that he’s Captain America when does Bucky show up again?
- Is it bad I’m kind of bored right now?
- WAIT BUCKY CAN’T DIE.
- Ooh look Bucky’s husband is gonna save him, see it’s all okay.
- “Do you two…fondue?” That right there is becoming a part of my dialect. It’s pure gold.
- Bucky’s little smile at Steve saving him. Be still my heart. My heart is so in trouble for these two isn’t it?
- WHAT THE EFF, WHY IS THIS CREEPY OCTOPUS DUDE RIPPING HIS SKIN OFF?!?!
- Bucky has the right priorities making sure Steve isn’t all gross red skull now too.
- NOT WITHOUT YOU! I am in too deep already.
- Sebastian Stan and Chris Evans look very good next to each other. Walking back to camp all roughed up and dirty, I somehow dig it more than what is probably acceptable.
- Heyoooo, Bucky wants Steve to keep the outfit. Insert all the raised eyebrow emojis here. If only you could’ve heard the noises that left my mouth.
- I may not be rooting for Agent Carter and Cap, but I totally want to be as bad ass as her.
- NO NO NO NO NO NO.
- I am still in denial that Bucky just fell to his death. Absolutely not.
- Oh man, that sucks that Steve can’t get drunk due to the cell rejuvenation. That may be the worst thing about being Captain America.
- Cool…another fighting scene. Look explosions.
- Wait. I just remembered this movie started in present day discovering the Captain America shield in ice?
- Yes, because I kiss all my partners in speeding cars as they’re about to hurl over the edge of a cliff.
- That’s how the ice ties in.
- Okay. I really want to watch the next movie. There has to be more Bucky and Steve. Cause I ship it, but not hashtag ship it.
Captain America: The Winter Soldier
- I think the wardrobe department should’ve received an Oscar for continuously putting Captain America in three sizes too small clothing.
- Can I be hired as a pop culture educator to superheroes? I’d make such great must see/listen/read lists.
- Is Chris Evans too ripped? Wait, no I seriously didn’t ask that.
- Oh shit, the mask came off. Captain America means serious business, but I can’t get past how cute his little ears sticking out are.
- The Triskelion sounds like a Triscuit.
- Okay Steve Rogers rip my heart out, going to your own exhibit and being a sad lost puppy.
- It gets worse! The Bucky memorial. Nooope.
- I wonder how much money gets wasted on cars getting destroyed and blowing shit up in action movies.
- Oh you know, no biggie the new bad guy can rip doors straight off of cars. K. Cool.
- Did Steve really hide NATIONAL SECRETS behind bubblegum in a vending machine? Lololol.
- The dude with the glasses is the mole. It’s always the “innocent” friend. I don’t like him already.
- Something is gonna go down in the elevator, I’m calling it now.
- I’ll admit – that fight scene was actually kind of neat.
- Wait, how is Captain America the bad guy? Did I miss something when I was bored in the first movie?
- Who comes up with these plot lines and how do they do it? Everything is so unreal.
- WAIT THATS BUCKY ISN’T IT?!?! BUCKY!
- But how is he alive and evil now? Or is it like his three generations later oops baby from the war who is also his twin?
- I want to hug Steve Rogers, his husband has returned from war and is all brainwashed. Just when I thought the sad puppy look couldn’t get worse.
- STEVE ROGERS IS MORE UPSET THAT BUCKY BARNES THE LOVE OF HIS LIFE DIDN’T RECOGNIZE HIM THAN THE FACT BUCKY BARNES WAS TRYING TO KILL HIM!
- Why do I always find myself shipping the tragic and the gay?
- “Even when I had nothing I had Bucky.” SOB.
- Nicky Fury is alive. Legit. He’s still scary though.
- I want to kick Hydra butt right now.
- How can people not ship Bucky and Steve? I mean, for the first time in 70 years the Winter Soldier is acting erratic because he saw Steve and got called Bucky! That’s like Shakespeare level tragedy of screwed up story lines.
- “But I knew him…” Oh this hurts. Bucky looks like an upset puppy now too. I ship upset puppies.
- WHAT ARE THEY DOING TO MY BRAINWASHED SON.
- I think I like Chris Evans better with brunette hair and scruff. Did you know I share a birthday with him?
- Again how do people not ship Bucky and Steve?
- CAP KNOWS HE WILL REMEMBER HIM.
- Kudos to Stan Lee with the best line of the movie. (Yes, I somehow know who Stan Lee is.)
- See, Falcon and Cap have the best bros relationship banter and behavior. It just feels different between Bucky and Steve.
- HE DOESN’T WANT TO KILL YOU.
- Falcon may be my non-otp fave. “Man, shut the hell up.” HAHAHA. He’s just not having anybody’s shit.
- NO NO NO.
- Steve you idiot, stop self sacrificing yourself?
- ARE THEY BOTH GOING TO DIE?
- HE SAVED BUCKY.
- “You know me. Bucky. You’ve known me your whole life. Your name is James Buchanan Barnes.”
- “I’M WITH YOU TO THE END OF THE LINE.”
- Oh my god, Bucky please start to remember.
- HE. SAVED. STEVE!
- Yes, Falcon bringing the on your left banter. Petition for Falcon to be in more movies I hope.
- OF COURSE STEVE IS GOING AFTER BUCKY. OF COURSE.
- Shit. I need to actually go and buy a ticket to see Civil War in the movie theatre now don’t I?
Less than 4 hours later, I found myself on a Saturday afternoon sitting by myself in a dark movie theatre watching the third movie.
Captain America: Civil War
- That sucks, Steve never found Bucky since the last movie?
Obviously I probably should’ve watched the other movies in between since the girl in captivity at the end of The Winter Soldier is now part of the squad. But she’s an Olson, so I already love her.
- This guy can shove it with taunting Steve about Bucky to try and kill him.
Not gonna lie, I’m slightly confused still knowing very little about the Marvel universe with all these time jump scenes.
HE HAS LOVED BUCKY BARNES SINCE HE WAS 16. I mean, he basically just admitted it without admitting it.
Please don’t push Steve and the fake nurse a.k.a. his dead girlfriend’s niece as a romantic plot. No thanks, hard pass.
OH NO! Don’t tell me it was seriously Bucky who blew up the building. I need him to be not brainwashed anymore.
Do people think they can actually reason with Steve when it comes to Bucky? C’mon now.
I swear to god if I made it through three movies for them to shoot Bucky on site, I am walking out.
Look at this cutie buying plums. I would watch that scene in joy if it was ten minutes long even.
Red alert Steve is in Bucky’s apartment! Reunited and it feels so good!
See, Bucky didn’t and isn’t going to kill anyone. He’s a good egg.
“This is what making things worse looks like.” “AT LEAST HE’S ALIVE.” YES NATASHA AT LEAST HE’S ALIVE.
You’re telling me Steve searched for basically TWO ENTIRE YEARS for just his platonic best friend?
- STEVE STOPPED A HELICOPTER WITH HIS BICEPS AND LOVE.
Life Hack: Throw some water on a brainwashed assassin and they just snap out of it. That, or perving on some A+ biceps in action works wonders too.
All the Bucky and Falcon scenes. Gimme them.
No, gross. He dated your dead aunt. This is a level of weird I am not down with.
What is this, the third Spiderman in ten years? He’s kind of annoying. But he beats emo Toby Maguire Spidey I guess.
I LOVE BUCKY AND FALCON’S RELATIONSHIP. Petition for them to have their own buddy comedy movie.
- Okay, I really like Hawkeye too. Can all the sassy Marvel characters just be together forever?
- Paul Rudd always plays the most endearing characters. Maybe I’d watch Ant Man for him. Maybe.
I’m sorry but best friends and Steve being a good guy still doesn’t explain the lengths and extremes Steve goes to in order to save Bucky time after time AFTER TIME.
Oh shit that’s like some telenovela secret twist.
BUCKY IS STEVE’S FAMILY TONY.
- STEVE GAVE UP THE SHIELD. THE SHIELD. HE GAVE UP BEING CAPTAIN AMERICA FOR BUCKY.
When is this next movie? I may be officially a hashtag #confirmed fan.
NO NO NO THIS EXTRA SCENE. BUCKY DON’T. STEVE LOOKS HEARTBROKEN.
This can’t be the end. I need my sappy happy super serum soldiers enjoying time together.
It’s not hard to tell that I fell fast and hard down the fandom rabbit hole. I am now a total shipper and will admit to following a handful of fandom Tumblr blogs. I’ve quickly become fans of other superheroes in the group too. Somehow a pop culture discourse won Marvel a new fan. I’m actual counting down the days until the next good Marvel release. (Sorry Dr. Strange, you don’t count.)
I will be curious to see if anything more comes of Steve and Bucky’s relationship. Whether it’s outright making #GiveCaptainAmericaABoyfriend a reality or just sly play on scenes to appease salivating a certain section of fans. Even if nothing comes of the pair other than bros for life, it’s still fun finding and enjoying the spark between the pair. Plus, it’s given my Marvel loving friends plenty of ammo over my sudden interest.
Have you watched Captain America? What are your thoughts on the Steve and Bucky?
P.S. – I’m no stranger to having strong feelings for my OTPs. Especially the five fictional couples who take the top spots in my heart.
Until next time,